Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Jankovic Asserts Herself

The season ending WTA Championships got under way in Doha where the world number one, Jelena Jankovic, posted a straight sets victory over her compatriot, Ana Ivanovic, in what was a comfortable and straightforward encounter.


Her 6-3,6-4 win in her White Group Round Robin match, also corrected her poor record with Ivanovic having lost all six of ther previous clashes.


Ivanovic made too many unforced errors in the tricky, windy conditions and Jankovic always looked set to emerge the victor.


Towards the end of the match Ivanovic pulled up and while the trainer then attended her, there was no medical time-out and no clear indication as to what had caused her to call for attention.

Later Jankovic said of her new status: "I don't feel like I have any pressure. It doesn't matter what I do here, I will finish in that position (number one). I can just keep hitting the ball and playing my tennis.


"Earlier, Vera Zvonareva had opened the tournament with a scrappy 6-2,6-3 victory over fellow Russian Svetlana Kuznetsova in the day's other White Group encounter. Zvonareva, the last player to qualify for the season-ending WTA event, adapted much the better to the blustery conditions.


Afterwards Zvonareva commented: "I was a very, very tough match, it was so windy today. We've been playing indoors for the last two months so it was difficult. I'm pretty satisfied."


She added starting well had been important to the outcome. "It was very difficult for both of us to start this match with the conditions. There was no rhythm and we're not really used to it (the wind). I was just fighting (at the start) and then I was able to find my rhythm.


"In the the other Maroon Group, Venus Williams recovered from a slow start to defeat Dinara Safina 7-5 6-3."


From : tennistoday.com

See another story from Jankovic : Clicks

0 comments:

 
© free template by Blogspot tutorial